Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I am SO glad the holidays are coming to a close because I have done more baking and making of sweets than anyone I know. I am a slave to the kitchen.It all started last winter when I discovered the quick and easy recipe for no-bake Oreo truffles. They were an automatic hit at holiday gatherings. These are the photos from last year.

My mistake was mentioning this to my mother. She was entertaining a bunch of girls for her annual ornament exchange party and asked if I'd make some snacks. I made Mint Oreo truffles, brownie bites, and dark cocoa truffles.
However, since the Oreo truffles were such a hit, I was somehow convinced to make 300 of them for another party later in the week. It seriously drained all my enthusiasm for the holidays. I normally hand dip each truffle into the chocolate, but there were just too many! Instead I pour melted chocolate into condiment squeeze bottles (one of my favorite kitchen tools!) and created a ribbon pattern which was much more time efficient. Phew!
So, in case you're curious about these little devils. You take a package of Oreos (I use Mint or Peanut Butter flavor) and remove six cookies, set them aside for a crumble topping or eat them! Crush the remaining Oreos, mix with a package of cream cheese, and form into 1-inch balls on a cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or so. Melt chocolate bark (white, milk, or dark) and dip truffles into mixture. Set aside at room temperature until chocolate hardens. Serve.

They are in no way healthy, nor organic...but if you need to feed a herd of salivating old women with ravenous sweet tooth this is the trick! ;)

2 comments:

George Erdosh said...

I do the same: as the holiday season approaches, I double my kitchen duties to prepare goodies as giveaway (I do not give gift any other than homemade). I make chocolate truffles, too but mine don't look nearly as great as yours. Also excellent anise biscotti, fruit cakes that are eaten instead of used as door stops. And the squeeze bottle is also among my favorite tools...

Some of these ideas in my freshly published book (Nov/08):

Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Making Great Foods

www.eloquentbooks.com/TriedandTrueRecipes.html
www.howfoodswork.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Kimber! I made those this year for gifts too!!! So yummy! I'm totally going to try making the peanut butter and mint ones next time! I miss you! xxoo-JamieSusan