Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!


We spent New Years Eve on the 500 block of Clematis in downtown West Palm.

There was a Joy Division cover band that was fantastic, but sadly only a dozen of us in the few thousand knew any of their songs. There was barely standing room in O'Shea's while the sardine-packed hipsters all sang in unison as the house band played Gin Blossom's "Hey Jealousy." A moment that was surprisingly beautiful despite the surroundings. The beer on the street was anything but cheap, yet I managed to find some Yuengling, Blue Moon, and Stella in the midst of all the Budweiser floating around. I bought a giant Peace sign banner from a Rastafari who told me to "wave it high and proud," which made me smile as Hendrix rang in my head to keep my freak flag flying.

We actually missed the countdown and the champagne toast because we weren't paying attention! The fireworks weren't as impressive from the center of the crowd, but once we walked to the top of the hill...it was grand! You could see folks stopping in their steps to take in the sight before us.
It was a decent way to begin the new year.

No comments: