Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tonight, I made a festive dish inspired by Hanukkah, Saffron "Chicken" Broth with Spinach Matzo Balls.

I say "chicken" because I used No-Chicken Broth for a base; I have this unusual aversion to chicken broth. To replace the chicken needed, that would normally be leftover from making the broth, I baked three small chicken breasts. Since I didn't use the chicken for broth, I didn't end up with chicken fat to use for the matzoh balls; so instead of substituting it with another animal fat, I chose to leave out the fat. The recipe really didn't need it. I also added organic dill weed, organic cayenne red pepper, Colman's mustard powder, chopped carrots, dried wild Chanterelle and Shiitake mushrooms to the broth. I added organic ground cumin to the Matzo mixture. It took over two hours, but it was completely worth it! I will definitely re-use the broth recipe for other meals.
This is the broth according to the recipe.
This is the broth according to me, prior to the addition of carrots and dill.
Giant Matzo ball!
This photo does not do the soup justice...it had such a rich depth.

The world record for eating Matzo balls is 78 matzoh balls, but I topped out at five. I think my true limit is three.

No comments: