Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saturday was a very long day. I got up much too early and hit Fort Pierce. First I stopped by the Farmer's Market in downtown, next I went to the holiday bazaar at the college, and finally the long-awaited plant sale at Heathcote Gardens.
I started my day off with cherries, grapes, and raspberries!These are the roots of a bonsai.
I came home with Huernia schneideriana, African Spear, Costa Rica bush mint, magenta Christmas cactus, weak-leaf yucca, desert rose, and chocolate mint.
I bought this from a starving artist at the Farmer's Market.
I also bought organic mint and dill to use this weekend...along with ginger cookies and pumpkin bread. Yum!

We went to a charity Ranch Roast for the Boys & Girls Club of America. The drive out to Indiantown was an adventure in itself!
The Seminole Inn fed us pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans, and the most fantastic peach cobbler I've ever had!
Our host, Iris Wall, turned 79! We sang Happy Birthday to her.
We went on a sunset hay ride.
It was a nice way to end the day.

Actually, the dinner I made ultimately ended it on the best note!
A simple salad of organic baby greens with pomegranate arils and gorgonzola; I hand-squeezed pomegranate juice for the dressing. It was incredibly light and refreshing!
I made scallops for the first time! I was told the secret to preparing scallops is: keep it simple. So I simmered 1 tb of butter, 1 tb extra virgin olive oil, and a smidgen of sea salt in the pan on high heat before slapping those puppies in. They were incredibly tender and perfectly seared! I served them up with risotto. K said the scallops were, "heavenly!" I guess that sums it up. :)

Saturday was awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous that I missed the Heathcote sale! P.S. I'm coming to your house for dinner from now on! Nom!